Date of closure: 2007
Address (for reference only):
Mecca Bingo in Skinner Street was another club that was closed by its owners in anticipation of falling revenues due to the introduction of the smoking ban. Many clubs up and down the country were not given the opportunity to ‘ride the storm’, and were sold off in a loss cutting exercise. Many bingo halls did apply for licenses to provide exterior smoking shelters, although this does not seem to have helped a great deal.
The bingo club was located in the former Odeon Cinema which was opened in 1937. It was a bit of a rarity in terms of design, as it was built in the Modernist style, whilst many cinemas of the day were more classical. With room for over twelve hundred cinema goers it was a medium large cinema, and it survived until 1982, when it was taken over as a bingo hall by Mecca Bingo.
By Gareth Whieldon (July 2010)