Date of closure: Circa June 2010
Address (for reference only):
Kings Bingo did quite well to last until 2010 as many independent clubs didn’t survive much more than a few months after the smoking ban. Luckily there are still many clubs operating and if they have weathered the storm for this long hopefully they are here to stay.
The Kings started life as a 850 seat cinema which opened as the Oxford Picture Hall in 1912. Although quite small it was apparently rather ornate on the inside which was quite common at the time. The cinema was rebuilt in 1936 under the guidance of W. Bishop, a local architect, and continued to show films until its closure in 1962, when it became a part-time bingo hall.
Kings Bingo lasted for quite a while until its recent closure, and the premises have since been bought by Wetherspoons who have secured planning permission for a pub conversion.
By Gareth Whieldon (December 2010)