Date of closure: April 12th 2008
Address (for reference only):
Mecca Bingo in Swindon was located in the building that was originally opened as the Regent Theatre in 1929. During the building’s life as a cinema, it changed name on a couple of occasions. Firstly in 1952 it was renamed the Gaumont Theatre. Secondly, it was re-named Odeon from June 1963.
It first opened as a bingo hall in November 1974. The club thrived for over 30 years, until it fell victim to the downturn in trade caused by the introduction of the smoking ban in 2007. Its members raised a petition to try and save the club, but it was to no avail. Currently its future is uncertain, but it seems likely the site will be redeveloped as it was purchased by Swindon Borough Council.
By David Lloyd (April 2008)
Mecca Bingo Swindon: Update
Swindon Borough Council have leased the premises to a group of local entrepreneurs. The venue has reopened as the Music Entertainment Cultural Arena (M.E.C.A.), which hosts everything from music and comedy, to boxing, but alas no bingo.
By Gareth Whieldon (July 2012)