Date of closure: 2006
Address (for reference only):
We don’t have a great deal of information about the Runcorn La Scala, but there are a few things that we know about the place. It was previously the La Scala bingo hall, which was originally a cinema. It was built in 1913 and was designed by Leonard Clegg, and the cinema lasted until 1957. The cinema then became an entertainment venue, which played host twice to the Beatles, but eventually closed in 1987.
After its conversion into a bingo hall we are not sure what happened although we do know that its closure in 2006 was at a time when many clubs were closing up and down the country. Since then there have been plans for a conversion for accommodation, and there has been a fire, but, as far as we are aware the building is still standing, although in a poor state of repair.
By Gareth Whieldon (October 2010)
We’ve just found out that the premises are definitely going to be demolished to make way for flats as part of a regeneration scheme. An historical building, it has had the dome removed already, so unfortunately there’s no turning back for this cinema. More
By Gareth Whieldon (September 2012)