Date of closure: 2004
Address (for reference only):
The Radford Carlton closed in 2004, and has since been taken over by a church, which is an interesting turn of events, although not an unusual one. The important thing here probably is that the building still exists in some form or another and has not been converted into a supermarket.
The premises started life in 1936 as the Capitol cinema. Designed by Reginald W.G. Cooper, the cinema was designed to seat 1122 patrons. Of Art Deco design, the cinema was quite small, and in fact in later years had difficulty showing wide screen films due to the small size of the proscenium. It closed as a cinema in 1968, and became an independent bingo club, and luckily the building is listed as Grade II.
By Gareth Whieldon (September 2010)