Date of closure: October 2004
Address (for reference only):
The Regal started its life in 1937 as a cinema, designed by the cinema specialist Robert Cromie. It was converted into a bingo hall in 1970, and stayed as one until its closure in 2004. The Gala Club closed to move to a new purpose built bingo hall at the Ozone Leisure Park. The Regal was granted Grade II listed building status in 2005.
After standing empty for a few years, the building is currently in the process of transformation to a live venue. There’s a story on the transformation of the Regal and the plans for its future here.
By David Lloyd (March 2008)