Date of closure: Circa 1993
Address (for reference only):
We don’t have too much information about the Silverline Bingo Club, but we have gleaned a bit about its past. Originally it was opened as the St James Theatre in 1907, but a mere three years later it had become a Picture Palace, which was subsequently renamed as the Picturedrome.
In 1923 the cinema closed, then reopened in the same year under the name the New Scala, and went on to show films until it was gutted by fire in 1934. Only a year later it had been restored and re-opened and continued to show films until it closed in 1960.
It immediately opened as the Thurland Bingo Club, and from there underwent a name change to Silverline, which continued until the 1990s. Subject to another fire in 1993, the building has since been restored and converted into a three screen cinema which at the time of press is still open.
By Gareth Whieldon (December 2010)