Date of closure: 1982
Address (for reference only):
Formerly a cinema, the Hammersmith Mecca was closed down in 1981, although we are not sure of the circumstances surrounding its closure. We do know a little bit about the building’s history though.
Originally known as the Commodore Cinema, it was opened in 1929 by an independent operator. The first film shown was “Showboat”, starring Laura La Plante. It was a large venue with room for 252 standing, aside from the circle and stalls. As it was a cine-variety venue, it had a cafe and dance hall, which was usual for the day.
It was taken over in 1933 by ABC Cinemas, and in 1963 it was converted into a Mecca Bingo hall. It had quite a long run until it closed down in 1981, but the premises were demolished in 1982 to make way for an office block, so bingo will not be returning to the premises.
By Gareth Whieldon (July 2010)