Date of closure: 2000
Address (for reference only):
Situated in Kirkdale Liverpool, Princess Bingo closed in 2000, and the building has not to our knowledge been either taken over, or redeveloped. This may be bad news for the building as it will fall into disrepair, but, at least it is still standing and hasn’t been demolished to make way for a block of flats (yet).
The premises originally opened as the Princess Cinema in 1931, and although a medium sized cinema, the architect missed out on the more grand design, as there are no towers, or fins on the building’s exterior. The cinema was originally an independent until it was taken over in 1958 by the Essoldo Cinemas chain, based in Newcastle. The cinema continued to operate until 1966 when it was converted to a bingo hall, which was a common transformation in the mid sixties. The last film shown was “Our Man Flint” staring James Coburn.
By Gareth Whieldon (August 2010)