Date of closure: Circa 1984
Address (for reference only):
One of many Mecca Bingo Halls in the Liverpool area, the Aigburth Club closed in the early 1980s. Not only was this a loss for bingo players, but it was also a shame to lose another historic building to make way for a supermarket.
Previously a fairly large cinema, the ‘Mayfair’ seated 1750 people, and was opened in 1937, just as vaudeville was getting its final curtain call and the silver screen was taking over as the prominent mode of mass entertainment. The interior was quite spacious, and had two staircases, that sat either side of the paybox. Although one of the later opening cinemas, it did have a Compton organ.
The Mayfair survived as a cinema until 1973 when Mecca Bingo took over, the last film shown being “Bullet” starring Steve McQueen.
By Gareth Whieldon (August 2010)