Date of closure: 2008
Address (for reference only):
Although we have searched, we do not have details of the circumstances leading to the closure of Hull’s Mecca Bingo club on Anlaby Road. We do know that before it was a bingo hall it existed as a cinema. Originally the Carlton Theatre, it opened in 1928 in the heyday of the silver screen with seating for over sixteen hundred patrons.
A fairly impressive building, it had a globe located at the top of its exterior, and was built by Greenwood and Sons, having been designed by a firm of designers which perhaps explains why it did not conform to the generic architectural standards of the day, having not been designed by one of the more famous theatre architects.
Its interior was quite plush for a suburban cinema, as such ornateness was usually only observed in the more centrally located city theatres. It had marble mosaics, and a Venetian glass sliding dome. Before the talkies arrived it had an organ for accompaniment for the silent movies, but this was eventually removed when it became redundant before the war.
Aside from a little damage suffered during the war, the building did not go through any major changes until its closure in 1967. It was then taken over as a bingo hall, and this is where our knowledge stops.
By Gareth Whieldon (August 2009)