Date of closure: TBC
Address (for reference only):
Walkers Bingo in Hoyland resided in one of the older theatres. Built in 1893, the Princes Theatre was an extremely popular venue that was built by local builders John Parr and Sons. Originally a purpose built theatre, it did show movies as well as stage shows. The theatre changed its name to the ‘Kino’, and variety exited stage left as the whole genre became replaced by cinema as the most popular form of entertainment.
In the sixties bingo took over as it did many other cinemas in the period. Since bingo’s demise, the premises are now a snooker hall, and although internally the building has been severely altered, the exterior still remains a popular landmark.
By Gareth Whieldon (August 2010)