Date of closure: September 2003
Address (for reference only):
Gala Hove started off as the Granada Theatre which opened in 1933, the building having been designed by Frederick E. Bromige, and its interior by F.L. Filie. A fully equipped theatre, it had several dressing rooms, and a large stage, as well as facilities for showing films.
Its film capacity probably contributed to the takeover by ABC Cinemas in 1935, who successfully drew crowds until its closure in 1974 having undergone several refurbishments in the interim. From 1975 it played host to bingo, initially in the hands of Ladbrokes, and its final owners were Gala who closed the club in 2003. This closure preceded the smoking ban, and apparently Gala accepted an offer to buy the premises by a property developer.
By Gareth Whieldon (10th June 2010)
Work on the site of the old bingo hall has at last commenced. Despite planning permission for the conversion of the property in to flats and a doctor’s surgery being granted in 2010 no building work has been evident until now, apart form the initial demolition. It is sad to lose a grand old venue, but at least the land will now be put to use.
By Gareth Whieldon (10th October 2013)