Date of closure: Circa 2006
Address (for reference only):
With a seating capacity of 900, the Empire Picture Playhouse was opened in 1911. Designed in the Renaissance style, the cinema closed in the sixties, and became a bingo hall. The premises switched back and forth between cinema and bingo until bingo left the building for good, and since 2006 the building is being used as a nightclub. As the building is listed there is always the potential for bingo or cinema to return.
By Gareth Whieldon (September 2010)