Date of closure: 1985
Address (for reference only):
We are not sure exactly why Premier Bingo closed down, but we do have some details of the building’s history. Opened in 1921, the Premier was a relatively small cinema with a seating capacity of 897. An independent, its first film was “Wolves of the Night” starring William Farnum, and it was taken over by ben Jay in 1932. Following this it was taken over by Davies Cinemas in 1938, and it somehow managed to avoid an ABC buy-out unlike many cinemas across the rest of the country during this period.
The cinema survived until 1961 when it was converted into a bingo hall, as were many cinemas during the sixties and seventies. The premises have since been demolished, and if anyone can tell us why the club closed down, we’d love to hear from them.
By Gareth Whieldon (February 2011)