Date of closure: 2006
Address (for reference only):
Dunfermline lost one of their Carlton Bingo halls in 2006, but luckily for local residents, there is another Carlton Bingo Club in Dunfermline. The Canmore Street hall closed around the time that many halls were closing across the country, although we don’t have confirmation as to whether it closed due to the same causes that affected many other clubs. If you do have any details please let us know.
The hall was located on the site of the Alhambra Theatre which opened in 1922 with seating for 17000 patrons. It was built on a slope and although it had a reasonable seating capacity, its exterior was not as grand as many of the city theatres of the day. The interior was and still is quite plush in terms of the plaster work throughout, and the frieze among other details.
It was converted into a cinema in the thirties, as many theatres were, and continued to show films until the sixties when it was taken over as a bingo hall. Bingo reigned for an impressive forty years before its closure. Luckily the building is Grade ‘B’ listed, and has been re-opened as a theatre, which although not a boon for bingo players, at least it continues to serve up entertainment to the community.
By Gareth Whieldon (November 2010)