Date of closure: 2006
Address (for reference only):
60 - 62 Broad Street
We are not sure of the life cycle of Banbury Grand Bingo, but we do have a few pieces of the puzzle. It was opened sometime after the original cinema’s closure in 1968, and its ownership was shared by EMI, ABC, Zetters, and Star over the years.
With a seating of 950, it opened as a theatre in 1911, and by 1929 it had started showing films. It was refurbished and reopened in 1935 having being decorated in both Art deco and Egyptian style, the then fascination with Egypt being quite a common inspiration for decorative design. Its decor is apparently still maintained, although the premises have passed over to a Hard Rock Cafe.