Other Photo Galleries
This section contains a series of photosets from our history section featuring galleries of some beautiful bingo halls. Each page is not only a set of images, but takes us through the journey of each club, from their beginnings, usually as cinemas and theatres and on to their life as bingo clubs. Fans of bingo and cinema architecture will note that much attention has been paid the club's details and special features.
If you have photos of the UK's bingo clubs that would fit in here, we'd love to hear from you - contact us here and we'll give you details on how to send us your photos.
Other Bingo Photos
Listed below are links to pages here at Playing Bingo that not only offer great sets of images, but also historical descriptions of the growth of bingo, and some of its individual clubs.
- An Illustrated UK Bingo History By Ian Grundy - This is a great page that follows the development of bingo including how many of the halls took over from the cinemas as centres of entertainment. Visit
- The Southport Garrick (Mecca Bingo) - The Garrick was quite an impressive building as you'll see from the colour and black and white photographs of the interior and exterior. Visit
- The Shrewsbury Granada (Gala Bingo) - Another photoset from Ian Grundy, there are some great photographs of the ornate interior of the old Granada club. Visit
- The York Clifton (Independently Owned) - With attractive art outside and a lovely art deco interior, the York Clifton photoset showcases this impressive old bingo hall. Visit
- The Kingston Gala (Gala Bingo) - With many of its original art deco features still intact, this grand club is an eye opener, and captured beautifully in this impressive history set. Visit
- Slough Gala Bingo - A great set of photographs of the still open club, with lots of detailed shots of the original decor which was inherited from the Adelphi Theatre. Visit
- Gala Bingo in Powis Street, Woolwich, London - Now a church, this ex-theatre is quite a grand venue, and this set of photograph really captures its splendor in great detail. Visit
- Michael Hess: Bingo And Social Club Five Years On - Playing Bingo commissioned photographer Michael Hess to revisit thirteen of the UK's bingo halls, and he came up with a lovely set of prints that focus on the players as well as the venues. Visit